This Tag is from The Broke and The Bookish and every Tuesday, a theme will be selected. Today is ‘Back to School Freebie’ and my topic choice is:
My Ten Favourite Texts I Studied in School
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee: I know I mention this book all the time but it’s honestly so beautiful though I hated it when I first read it in school.
- The Giver by Lois Lowry: I think this novel first started my interest in dystopian science fiction.
- Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare: Not to sound douchey but this was the only Shakespeare play I enjoyed and I appreciated the, albeit exaggerated, history lesson.
- Equus by Peter Shaffer: Any story that dissects the concept of normality will always be a winner to me, I love stuff like that.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey: Nurse Ratched chilled me to the bone and I never thought someone could be so cold and evil until I read Umbridge.
- Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose: Ok this one is a bit cheating since it wasn’t an assigned text for my class but my friend loved it and I wanted in as well but I just love how the case is slowly pulled apart using logic and cold hard facts.
- Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw: I agree with Shaw, I don’t think Eliza should get together with Higgins.
- Animal Farm by George Orwell: I prefer this to 1984 and the scene where the pigs mistake being hungover for dying still cracks me up, it never gets old.
- The Story of Tom Brennan by J.C. Burke: This will date me but our teacher taught it to our class right before it was made compulsory for the HSC (final year exams for Australians) because she wanted to trial-and-error it with us.
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller: I loved the literal and figurative witch hunt.
I am making it my mission to own all of those texts, just for memories’ sake and the only ones I’m missing are ‘Equus’ and ‘The Story of Tom Brennan’. I think re-reading them again when you’re out of school and you’re not forced to write a thousand essays on it really changes your perspective.
Which were your favourite school texts?